Saturday, June 7, 2008

Abacus resurrected....

My first nerdy watch was a Casio Databank DBT-70W.  I'm not sure when I first got it, but I can be seen wearing it in my 2nd grade class photo.  It held all my friends phone numbers, and while I was able to fix the worn button by shimming them with tinfoil, eventually it wore out. 
Around middle school it was replaced briefly by a calculator watch I earned while selling wrapping paper door-to-door.  I then upgraded to a Casio Databank DBC-61 (mine was black), a calculator watch that could hold 50 phone numbers.

It too, wore out and in high school was replaced by a DBC-150, with more robust buttons, more memory, and a new EL backlight.  Arguably one of the most popular nerdy watches ever, it is still sold new today, over 10 years later.  Until a few months ago when it's battery wore out (again), it was my bedside alarm clock.

In December 2004 I got a Fossil Abacus Spot Watch.  It was already being phased out, but with the ability to get news, movie times, and weather reports wirelessly, I couldn't resist.  Rumor has it that it even helped me get my current job.  It died this past winter, and I went watchless for several awkward months while searching for a suitable replacement.  I didn't find one.  If they're still selling my 10 year old calculator watch, there hasn't been much innovation.

Finally this weekend I replaced the Li-Ion battery with one from another I got on eBay, and it's back on my wrist until something better comes along...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

| 860.945.1118
Copyright ©2006 EVO design, LLC
Portfolio | People | Studio | About Evo | What's New | Contact Us