Friday, October 21, 2011

Once you go Solid State, you don't go back

In February I replaced the stock 500GB, 5400 RPM hard drive in my Macbook Pro with an SSD. I went with a 120GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro, because of its excellent performance and reputation, and its built-in TRIM ability (Macs had yet to support it in the OS).

The Pro's: It is FAST. Boots in seconds. Apps launch before the first bounce of the dock. All my startup programs are running before the 2nd bounce. iPhoto is silky smooth. It's silent.

The Con's: I've had to be much more diligent/stingy about my digital storage. 120GB is awfully cramped. I have a spacious external drive, but they're no fun to carry around.

However, as with all things computery, prices are going down while performance is going up. Spinning disks days are numbered, though that number is large, and is not decreasing as much as everyone thinks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

| 860.945.1118
Copyright ©2006 EVO design, LLC
Portfolio | People | Studio | About Evo | What's New | Contact Us